Instant messaging is a real-time, text-based communication similar to chat. This concept has taken over the SMS and MMS. Instant messaging started with apps like AOL Instant Messenger, years ago and has emerged into an excess of options that all work really well. This evolution has definitely kicked up a gap over the last few years. The growth in the usage of such apps has resulted in the expansion of mobile app development. Nowadays, you can find varied types of instant messaging apps in the much different domains.
Let’s go through the leading instant messaging apps from various domains:
1. Gamer’s Messaging Apps: Interacting with a group of people you may or may not know while playing games online, expands the fun of gaming and adds a social component. The two most preferred messaging apps by gamers are Discord and TeamSpeak 3.
- Discord is a new app by gamers for gamers.
- It comes with a remarkable list of features that cover everything that VoIP services offer.
- It is completely free.
- The features of Discord include in-game overlay, encryption, multiple channels, direct messaging, and smart push notification.
—> TeamSpeak 3
- TeamSpeak 3 has been at the top of the list of VoIP tools for online gaming because of its service and voice quality.
- It is available for both Android and iOS platform.
2. Social Media Messaging Apps: The IM apps are more popular than ever as they provide security, add social networking features, and fulfills the demand for texting services and free mobile calling. The most famous social media messaging apps are Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, BlackBerry Messenger(BBM), Line, WeChat and many more.
- It is one of the most popular messenger apps.
- Facebook Messenger provides features like stickers, chat heads, send & receive money, chat with bots, secret conversations, media sharing and many more.
- Whatsapp is dominating the world of social media messaging apps with its cross-platform feature.
- It is mainly designed for cell phone users to send text messages and make calls over the internet without any charges.
- It allows users to send videos & pictures instantly, sends docs, and voice notes.
- Video calling feature is also supported by Whatsapp.
3. Video Calling & Messaging Apps: It makes communication easier and personal for the users. These apps use efficient compression algorithms, together with high-speed internet connectivity and make face-to-face interaction easy for the users. The most used and popular video calling apps are Google Duo and Skype.
—> Google Duo
- The highlighting feature of Google Duo is the simplicity of the interface the brings video calling to the forefront.
- It includes a “Knock Knock” feature, which provides a live preview of the caller before you receive the call.
- Skype is a cross-platform app that has its native apps on most platforms which even includes PC.
- It allows you to make video calls to a group of up to 25 people.
4. Team Chatting Apps For Organisations: Team chat apps help in organizing team conversations about multiple topics, speed up with bots, search through your company archives to see if a question has already been answered, and integrations that bring applications into your chats. Here are the two most preferred team chat apps by the majority of the organizations.
- Slack was launched in mid-2013 by the team that built Flickr.
- It is a real-time messaging app with features like team channels, direct messages, audio & video conferencing, screen sharing, mobile integration and many more.
- ChatWork is a social networking app for businesses and organizations.
- It comes up with features such as assignment management, collaborative workspace, video conferencing, email notifications & reminders, real-time data, SSL security and many more.
- Designed by OpenXcell, Workhive is a cross-platform business messaging app.
- It helps in collaborating with teams within and outside the organizations to undertake work in an organized style.
- Workhive gives the facility to centralize all your files.
These are the different types of instant messaging apps from varied domains. The instant messaging apps are secure and personalized and enable faster mode of communication. The expansion of such apps has been noticed from last few years and this has motivated the app developers in establishing more of such apps.