Apple, one of the most influential tech companies that comes up with the most dominative technologies. The latest and giant release by Apple is its mobile operating system, iOS 12. For user experiences and real-world testing the company had initially released a beta version of the update and is now offering the full version of the software on iPhone devices as old as the iPhone 5s.
In Apple’s annual Worldwide Developer Conference, it announced that there will be under-the-hood improvements to make all the older Apple devices work better. The new and improved features in the update of iOS 12 make it an impressive new version. This update will power iPhones and iPads by doubling up on their performance. So, in this article let us see that what is new in iOS 12 that grabs techies’ attention and improves the performance of Apple devices.
- Group FaceTime
- Group FaceTime allows chatting with up to 32 people simultaneously.
- The integration of Group FaceTime with the iMessages allows you to set up a group FaceTime through the iMessage group chat window.
- It gives the option to add fun effects like stickers and Memoji while on the FaceTime call.
- iOS and macOS support Group FaceTime.
- Apple made major changes to its Maps app by adding more intricately detailed maps with greenery and other public landmarks.
- The new version of Maps is more responsive to changes in constructions and roadway.
- It shows the more detailed ground cover, pedestrian pathways, and more.
- Maps features display much better road systems, traffic information, real-time road conditions, changes in pedestrian walkways, and new construction details.
- Apple has designed the new Maps app which doesn’t use customers’ personal data by keeping their privacy in mind.
3. Screen Time And Limiting Distraction
- iOS 12 includes a set of built-in features that can help you limit distraction, and focus more on how you are using your time throughout the day. It also monitors the usage of your iOS device.
- A Screen Time feature is a new section built into the settings app of the iPhone and iPad that collects data on what you’re doing on your device.
- The feature offers a deep analysis of the time you spend in different categories of apps.
- With this analysis, Apple is giving people the detailed information necessary to make decisions on overall app usage and whether there’s a need to cut the usage time or not.
4. Automatic Strong Password
- With the help of iOS 12, your iPad and iPhone can automatically suggest unique, strong passwords for each and every app and website where you need to create a login.
- The devices of iOS stores all of these passwords. You can ask Siri for these passwords and it will give you a list of it.
- You can share your passwords more easily in iOS 12 by using Password AirDrop options. It allows you to AirDrop your saved passwords to other devices and other people for quicker password exchanges.
- You can share passwords from nearby iOS devices to a Mac, and to the Apple TV.
5. Siri Suggestions
- Siri suggestions for both frequently and shortcuts used apps will show up both on your Home Screen and Lock Screen to access search.
- Siri suggestions are highly intelligent in iOS 12.
- Siri is now able to suggest more than ever before because of the third-party app access provided by Shortcuts.
- For example, if you wake up and order coffee every morning, Siri might suggest your favorite coffee app on the Lock screen. If you’re running late to an appointment, Siri might suggest options to send a text message to the person you are meeting with.
6. Hidden Features
Along with all the major features, there are few smaller “hidden” features in iOS 12. Let us have a look at those too.
- Siri Voices: In the U.S., there are new Siri Voice options for South African and Irish accents in both female and male genders.
- Contactless Student ID Cards: You can store Student ID cards in the Wallet app and it allows students to use their IDs for access to dorms, campus events, and the library.
- Face ID Rescanning: You can swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone x to initiate rescan if Face ID fails.
- Automatic Updates: iOS 12 introduces an option to turn on automatic software updates that will update your version of iOS automatically when an update is available.
- Messages Shortcuts: There are shortcuts to initiate a FaceTime audio call, video call, or get information of the contact by tapping on a person’s name in the Messages app.
- New iPad Gestures: You now swipe down from the top right of the iPad and bring up Control Center, rather than swiping up from the bottom.
- Lock Screen Options: iOS 12 has new options to disable access to USB and Wallet Accessories when an iPhone is locked with a passcode.
- Voice Memos: Voice Memos is also on the Mac and iPad and has iCloud support. You can choose when to delete Voice Memos, set a default recording name, and choose audio compression quality.
These headlining feature of iOS 12 are adding to some of the already perplexing bugs we all experience. iOS 12 is focusing on improving the overall performance of its iOS device lineup across the board. This new version makes apps faster and smoother. The iPhone app developers and techies are all ready to explore this version. The iPhone app development companies like OpenXcell have started developing innovative iPhone apps which can use all these latest features of iOS 12.